Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Naming a Garden


Most people, OK, maybe not most... Try again. Lots of people, no? Really? OK. SOME people name their gardens. I've heard of gardens named Wit's End, Foggy Bottom, Tick Bottom, Froggy Bottom (are you detecting a theme?). My last garden was Chipmunk Hill (it was on a hill and we had two well behaved colonies of chipmunks). While I'm calling my blog Garden on the Edge I'm not sure if that should be the name of the garden itself, too.

I'm thinking the garden name should have Dragonfly in it somewhere. When I went out for a mid-day walk around the garden I counted over 25 dragonflies. I'm not sure where they all perched when there was nothing but grass and foundation plants here.


I think these are all the same species (male and female and/or juvenile) but I have noticed quite a lot of different species and sizes and colors as the summer progresses. Dragonflies are predators and while they might take some of the butterflies I'm working to attract they will also take some of the mosquitoes I'd like to avoid so they're welcome.

Here's a photo essay of some of today's mid-day Dragonflies.

Dragonfly on seed pop of Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa)




Dragonfly on cut end of Bronze Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)


Dragonfly on seedpop of Buttefly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa)


Dragonfly on Ninebark Coppertina (Physocarpus opulifolius)

No comments:

Post a Comment