Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day


Why did the chickens cross the road? To see what was blooming on Garden Bloggers Bloom Day!

Aster 'October Skies' or at least that's what I bought it as but it's already bigger than 'October Skies' is supposed to get and this is only the first year for it. I'm going to have to move it.

African Blue Basil. Just about done now. It's interesting how different types of bees and wasps each seem to have their own preferences in flowers. I don't see this type of bee on any other plants in my yard, just the Africa Blue Basil.

Buddleia 'Nanho Blue' - I have 5 types of Buddleia in the yard and all 5 are currently blooming.

My Caryopteris 'Black Knight' has finally started to bloom.


Gaura (three different varieties) These plants have been blooming up a storm this year


Pycnanthemum virginianum (Mountain Mint)


Agastache rupestris and Pervoskia atriplicifolia (Russian Sage) [and Rose 'Don Juan'] You can really see how new my garden is, I haven't even finished removing grass around this new bed. But I like the juxtaposition of these two plants so I decided to post anyway.

Climbing Rose 'Don Juan'

Salvia gregii 'Pink Preference' I really liked the gregii type of Salvia when I was living in the South so I just had to try a few up here. This one is rated to zone 6


Salvia 'Maraschino' This type of Salvia prefers hot climates so I had to look hard to find any rated for my zone. 'Maraschino' is rated to zone 5. I'll be watching to see if it can tolerate our cool summers.

Sedum Autumn Fire


Stock. I thought this was a short lived annual and intended it to be a filler until the Mexican Feather Grass grew up.



Sleepy Bee on a Zinnia

Thanks to Carol at May Dreams Gardens for starting Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. Check out her blog for links to other gardens.

4 comments:

  1. Don Juan, very pretty! That thing with the chickens cracked me up. Thanks for the laugh.
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great show! Happy bloom day. I'm impressed with the buddleias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You already have Aster oblongifolius in bloom! Here in 7b in NC I'm still waiting impatiently for mine to start. I hope your Salvias overwinter for you. They are such wonderful plants. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those last two pictures! That fish is awesome and the bee seems to be having a little trouble getting back out of that zinnia.

    ReplyDelete