Wednesday, February 3, 2010

House Plant Census

Mr Mc.Greggor's Daughter has requested a house plant census so I went around this morning to get a head count.

My total?  60.  Not bad.

That's not completely accurate since I counted each TYPE of plant in my water garden (my aquarium) only once.  Those plants grow like weeds would like to grow and I end up composting lots of them every month.  It can be hard to tell where one plant ends and the next begins.  So that's 6.

I have three Spider plants (Chlorophytum comosum).  These are such great plants, so easy, so tolerant of neglect and they clean the air.  [Inhale.]  Ahhhh.


This is a fun plant.  It's related to the snake plant but I'm not sure what it's called.  I'm sure it's a Sansevieria.  It struggled at first but is finally showing some sign of growth.  Yes, those leaves are completely round.  Cool, huh?

Here's an example of buy small, grow large.  It's an umbrella plant (Schefflera arboricola).  This guy was a $3 plant in a 4 inch pot when I bought it last year.  Now it's about time for it to graduate to a larger pot.  



I was surprised to discover that I have 8 orchids of 6 different species.
I have 5 amaryllis that I will keep and try to rebloom.
I have 6 herbs in pots for winter cooking.  The Rosemary will go outside in the spring.  

Oh, wait.  I didn't count the other rosemary that's wintering in the garage.  61.

Better not let The Husband see this number.  He might not appreciate it like I do.  Especially when he realizes I'm on the look-out for a variegated Ficus benjamani and a Meyer's Lemon.  Actually he's already agreed to the Lemon tree.  Fresh lemonade. Yum.

Don't worry, honey, Spring is on the way and then I'll obsess with outdoor plants again.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for participating! Spider plants aren't foolproof. This fool killed one last summer. (I kept forgetting to water it.) Your Sanseveria looks like something you'd see on Star Trek, very cool.

    ReplyDelete