Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Winter Interest

Living in warmer climates I payed attention to Winter Interest plants.  There were things like Scabiosa and pansies that would bloom all winter, parsley would stay green and perky, and the days would often be warm enough to go and wander through the winter garden.

Now I live in New England.

Now I understand that Winter Interest means plants that look good in November, when the leaves have fallen but the temperatures are still tolerable, and March when the snow has started to melt but you can't get into the garden to do anything but plan.

Plants like this

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Filifera Aurea'

and this

Pieris japonica

and this

Santolina chamaecyparissus (lavender cotton)

and this

Thyme either Archer's Gold or Aureus

and even this.

Sedum Autumn Fire

But when the thermometer looks like this


my gardening interests turn inside and my idea of Winter Interest includes plants like this

Cyclamen
 
and this

Narcissus tazetta, forgottus varietus


and this

Begonia grocerystorus
 
and this

Amaryllis Picotee

and this

Cyclamen - once again blogger insists on posting an image sideways!

and the best part of Winter Interest is this



Eventually I will start posting about my houseplants (I have over 50 pots inside including wintering herbs and the forced bulbs).  You are forewarned.

No comments:

Post a Comment