Friday, April 4, 2014

Time to start seeds



There are some plants I just can't find around here. Most of the time that's because they don't grow well but other times I'm not sure. 

File:Butterflies UFmuseum.jpg

Thanks to Ironman 11 and Wikimedia Commons for the above image


Like Tithonia rotundifolia (Mexican Sunflowers). These are large, orange blooming butterfly magnets. But I've never seen them for sale up here. So I'm finally breaking down and doing it. I'm going to try starting them from seed.




I haven't generally  had good luck with seeds but this time I'm using a technique I got from Mr. Subjunctive at PATSP. I'm starting with two "clamshells" that used to contain take out from one of my favorite local restaurants that I have SCRUBBED clean.


I'm using vermiculite in one and potting soil in the other, getting them wet and
















adding seeds.

Then they perch on the bottom shelf of my plant shelves by a southwest facing window (shaded by a tree part of the day) and we'll wait and see what happens.



If all goes I'll be able to leave these containers alone for weeks, possibly until the seedlings start hitting the tops and the weather is nice enough to move them outside.

Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment