Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Angelfish

You read that right.  It's yet another non-gardening post.  So the blog is set up to be about Gardening but it's my blog and I'll post off topic if I want to.  So there.

Actually I couldn't help but share the news.  Two of my angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare), Avogadro and Pirate, have spawned.  I'm not sure which is which gender (although when I looked closely Lady Gaga also looks Gravid (full of eggs) so I think she's female, too).  It's very hard to tell gender in Angelfish unless you watch them spawn or notice that one is gravid.


Here's Pirate with the eggs - they are the white dots on the Dwarf Sword leaf (Echinodorus don'tknowthespeciesous).

And here's Avogadro.  Sorry for the picture quality.


Angelfish are good parents when it comes to tending their eggs.  They will tend the eggs, keeping them aerated and removing any that get fungus.  The first few spawns they might not be very successful and the mortality rate among Angelfish fry (baby fish) is very high so I don't expect any offspring from this breeding.  But it will be fun to watch.  You might have to read a few posts about it.  And I need to figure out where to get food for the fry, they do best on freshly hatched brine shrimp.  I guess I need to set up a brine shrimp hatchery.  I've got about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment