Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Procrastination

Last week we had a good hard frost that did some serious damage to my potted Salvia elegans (pineapple sage). A sign that the gardening season is nearly over.


Today I went outside to bring in the pot for the winter. I thought that maybe I could keep the roots alive in the basement, or perhaps take cuttings for next year.


But then I saw them. Bees. About a dozen of them feeding off the few remaining flowers. There's not much out there for them to eat right now even on warm days (like today) when their body temperature rises and tells them to be active.


So I thought, what the heck. I can procrastinate a little longer and buy a new Salvia elegans next year. Who needs it more? Me, to save a few dollars, or the bees who can use a few extra calories before the cold really settles in and they go into hibernation until spring, a few calories that may make the difference between surviving the winter or not. I think the bees are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment