Monday, January 6, 2014

Polar Vortex

I've been know to "push zones" here at The Edge.  The climate in changing and our zone went from a 5 to a 6 with the last plant hardiness zone update so it's a reasonable gamble.

One of my favorite pushed plants is Mexican Feather Grass.  This is a plant that can spread aggressively in warmer zones but is sold as an annual up here (when you can find it for sale).  I planted it in 2009 and it's still going strong.

I'm not sure it's going to survive THIS winter, though.

I suspect spring will bring a lot of unhappy surprises for gardeners all across the country due to this "polar vortex" bringing extremely cold temperatures.  Or, as I like to put it, lots of opportunities to try new plants.

Still.  I may have to replace my Mexican Feather Grass.  Anyone willing to ship me some?

[I wish I could take credit for the funky picture of my Mexican Feather Grass but it's due to a camera malfunction, not artistic talent on my part]

No comments:

Post a Comment