Friday, May 17, 2013

Edgy Gardening

One of my neighbors (a very good gardener) believes in using the wisdom of the ages to plant her vegetable garden.  She waits until after memorial day to plant tomatoes because that's the way it's always been done here in New England.

Not being a local AND being an observant person I know that spring is coming earlier and earlier (global climate change, ya'll!).  Every year that I've lived her I've put out my first tomatoes early.  Just 2 or 3 plants in the bed near the driveway.  Every year that I've lived her these plants have done just time and I get the first tomatoes of the year.

This year is no exception.  This guy and his buddy (not pictured) went in May 5th.

Don't tell my neighbor how this is cheating.

Why cheating?  Did you miss the cheat comment?  

I plant them near the driveway.  In a slightly warmer microclimate.  The driveway holds heat from the day and the plants closest to it stay warmer.

Now I haven't had a tomato killing May frost in the four years I've lived here so I could probably get away with a different location for the tomatoes but I do like to hedge my bets.

It's also how I manage to keep Mexican Feather Grass (Nassella tenuissmia), commonly considered a zone 7 plant in my zone 6 garden space.


I cheat.

Shhhhh....

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha...don't we all cheat, just a little. It's important to know about the rules...and then you can break them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng đi mỹ cũng như dịch vụ ship hàng mỹ từ dịch vụ nhận mua hộ hàng mỹ từ website nổi tiếng Mỹ là mua hàng amazon về VN uy tín, giá rẻ.

    ReplyDelete