Thursday, July 14, 2011

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day

It's that time again - the ides of July - time to show off the blooms in my garden.

There is a LOT going on in my garden right now.  Here's a sampling.


Asclepias tuberosa (and friend)


 Helenium Mardi Gras has started to party


Scabiosa caucasica Fama - just one of the three types of Scabiosa I have in my garden.  The others will continue to bloom prolifically until the first killing frost.  This one is taller with larger flowers.  I hope it has the same insane blooming cycle of the smaller ones.


Hydrangea unk Lacecap bought as Lady in Red but clearly not her. Still a pretty girl so she's welcome to stay, even if she is a commoner and not minor royalty.


 Monarda fromannia.  [Don't go Googling that.  It's an unknown variety from a neighbor]


 Coreopsis verticallata Zagreb snuggled up with a Panicum virgatum (just starting to bloom)


Garlic Chives - Yum


Gaura lindheimeri Siskiyou pink - another plant that was sold as an annual but that came back.  It is marginally hardy here but is outcompeted by the white blooming Gaura if the two are planted close together.


Liatris spicata Kobold.  Soon I will have the challenging decision to make.  Do I leave the spent blooms for the Goldfinches who love the seeds or do I deadhead it so I'm not pulling seedlings from the garden next year?  It does self sow a bit.


 Coreopsis grandiflora Domino (next to an Amsonia that is long since done blooming for the year.  I like the contrast)


 My beloved Agastache are just starting to bloom.  The one is front is (possibly) Golden Jubilee

Leucanthemum x superbum Becky.  This is one tough plant.  I moved it once and I'm planning to move it again this fall.  I'm putting it in the (dun, dum, dum) BACK YARD.  

Why the drama about the back yard?  Cause that's where the dogs roam.  And the dogs are rowdy.  And they did.  And they eat anything they suspect is edible.  I put my most aggressive plants back there because they're the only ones who can survive the canine revelries.


Perovskia altriplicifolia (Russian Sage)

 Guess.  Go on.  Guess.


Pycnathium spreadingum (Mountain mint)  
This is just barely starting to bloom but I like the way it looks.  Come back next month for better blooms.


 Echinacea tennesseensis Rocky Top

 Whew.  I'm tired and these are only a few examples of what's blooming in my garden.

Did you guess about the white flower?  Did you?  It is...



an onion.  Seriously.  I planted onions last year and failed to pull this one up so it came back this year and bloomed.  I'll try to remember to pull it this fall.  And I'll definately deadhead it so that the energy goes to the root and not to forming seeds.

Thanks to Carol at May Dreams for this meme.

2 comments:

  1. Your garden is BLOOOOOOOMING! bee-u-ti-ful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this post! I should have taken a photo of the mystery plant in my veggie garden. It's a weird tower with tiny yellow blooms--a volunteer leaf lettuce that came back from last year:) Lots of lovely blooms; I agree 'Becky' is a super performer--you could divide it and put one division out back to see if it survives the dogs (I bet it will). Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete