Saturday, August 22, 2009

Flower Power

Sedum x 'Autumn Fire' is getting ready to bloom in my garden

This isn't exactly a typical Flower Power post. Most of the images I have posted today are of foliage (a few flowers, gotta have them). There is a link from the Garden Rant Blog to a list of hard truths about gardening (two lists, actually). These lists are worth checking out, try here and here for the lists. One of the comments was about how foliage is important in your plant choices so here's some foliage for you enjoyment.

Bronze Fennel. I can't resist photographing this plant. It just makes such interesting images in the lens.



Miscanthus sinensis, or Zebra Grass. This is one plant I hesitate about planting. Miscanthus is invasive in many parts of the country and can be a fire hazard. I'm growing it in a pot and removing the blooms in an attempt to control it. Not sure if I'll put it in the ground eventually or not. I'll still researching whether this might be a problem here in New England.

Spirea 'Magic Carpet' - one of my absolute favorite plants. Not only does it have a long bloom period, not only is it attractive to pollinators (including butterflies) but it also has this great color in the new growth and it's easy to find and easy to grow.


Artemesia schmidtiana 'Nana' can be aggressive but I've got it in the strip between the sidewalk and the street, where I plant lots of aggressive plants because the conditions are quite challenging.

African Blue Basil. I love the dark veining and grow it as an ornamental.


This is a nice little Saxifraga arendsii (not sure of the variety, possibly called 'Magic Carpet') that seems to be surviving in the strip between the sidewalk and the street.


This Mexican Feather Grass, Nassella tenuissima, is not rated for my zone so I'm growing it as an annual. It is a warm weather plant that has the potential to become a problem in California. It is spectacular in large swaths. I'm using it in little planting pockets by the garage, surrounded by paving. Maybe the paving will keep that area warm all winter and it'll come back. If not I'll probably buy it again next spring. It's worth buying yearly.

It's peak bloom time in my garden and I couldn't resist including this image of Coreopsis 'Zagreb' and Scabiosa 'Butterfly Blue'


Physocarpus opulifolius 'Copertina.' A striking plant with dark, dark foliage, a great background for some lighter colors.

Cornus hesseyii 'Garden Glow' Imagine a small dogwood bush with golden leaves and you've got this plant. I love the brightness chartreuse foliage brings to the garden.


I just love the architectural characteristics of Bronze Fennel.

No comments:

Post a Comment